Thursday, September 30, 2010

...And So it Begins

Well, the bike started running really terribly yesterday. Upon getting home, I had one badly fouled plug. The first thing I thought about doing is a carb cleaning, but for what? Two more weeks of riding? This is the NW. It's quite likely the weather forecast would change just as I'm getting everything back together, and the sun will go away until June. I opted to just start the tear-down now. Unfortunately, I was tied up until just after 10pm last night, so I wasn't able to get too much done before I simply had to go to bed.

It'll likely be another late start tonight, but here is a pic from last night, just before I called it for the evening. I've got the headlight assembly, front turn signals, gas tank, exhaust, mirrors, levers, seat and seat cowl removed.

Tonight I'm shooting for the handlebars, side covers, battery box and airboxes, brake light, both fenders, carburetors and all the cables.

I'm trying to go over the best ways to keep this organized in my head. I'm thinking I should be okay. First of all, I want to keep it simple. One thing at a time. I plan to take a lot of pictures for reference, and keep parts organized in little labeled bags.

I'm not really sure what needs to be done when it comes to the head. I know I want to have it looked at, and possibly resurfaced/honed/bored/whatever, but I'm not sure what I have to do to it in preparation (pull the pistons, clean it up a bit and what else). Also, I'm not sure if I want to paint it or leave it. Also, what's the best way to clean the block? I'll be polishing the crankcase covers, stator cover, etc., but is sandblasting or something the best way to clean the block?

No comments:

Post a Comment